10 TIPS HOW TO STAY MOTIVATED WHEN YOU WORK FROM HOME.
Someone asked me the other day, how do I stay motivated and organised while working for myself from home?
Sometimes it’s hard to keep a routine when you are a freelancer. I have been working for myself for over 20 years. In the beginning it was the perfect solution for me as a mum to carry on working while bringing up my two children.
I have had many job roles as a self employed business owner from being a fashion designer, children illustrator to interior design and styling - and now a full time photographer. I wanted to share some tips to help keep you on track while working for yourself at home.
1. Make a schedule and stick to it. Before you go to bed at night plan what 1-3 things you will prioritise the next day. Then, when you start working in the morning go straight to that list.
2. Get up have a good breakfast and start with emails for the first half hour to an hour. Then it’s time to crack on with your work.
3. Stop responding to every notification beep on your mobile phone. I don’t look at my phone until I break for lunch.
5. Take small breaks often during the day. You don’t want to spend 11 hours sat in one stop and starring into screen.
6. Check emails again at 4pm. By checking first thing in the morning then mid afternoon you are not on it all day. Be careful with your time, I normally check at these times and give myself 15 mins to reply then have a coffee break and get outside. Then back to work.
7. Get outside - go for a walk with your dog, go to the gym, meet a friend for lunch, etc. Meet up with like minded people. Go for coffee have a day or an afternoon off to feel refreshed. It is good for your health and your sanity to get out of the home office.
8. Plan your 7 day week fully:
- Mondays are my admin days. I start early with emails like every other day. Then I schedule my Instagram and Facebook page social media. That way it’s done and I can tick one thing off my list. It also shows me if I need to shoot any content for myself. I also do my editing, shoot planning, marketing, phone calls and meetings all on Mondays.
- Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays are my shoot days. These are long full days, sometimes with many shoots in one day or one full day dedicated to a single client.
- Fridays are now for painting and creating. A full day to get lost in myself being an artist.
- Saturdays are sometimes for wedding photography, events and family lifestyle shoots. Not every Saturday though.
- Sundays are for family time at home and exploring.
9. Take time out for yourself properly! Enjoying me-time seriously helps you keep your sanity. As a woman building your career while also being a mum, you must learn how to take care of yourself.
10. Slow down. Accept that things takes time. Remember that no one gets success overnight – it´s a process so enjoy it.
The reason I am strict with my time and have planned my week like I have is because, I have learnt - only this year, that I was working more than anything else. I felt bad I wasn’t having enough time to do other things. So I made a pact with myself to change. It’s normal to feel you aren’t doing enough in your business, or you aren’t doing enough as a mum in your family life but, it is down to one word BALANCE. When you have that balance everything falls into place.